Thursday, April 26, 2018

The Bottomless Pit

This essay is a bit short, so please point out areas where there could be more narration or reflection.

Just like everyone, I use YouTube regularly. Maybe not as much as most people though. I mostly listen to music, and occasionally watch videos of people dissecting game mechanics. There's really only one vlog that I watch, but not often.

On the music I listen to, I think I listen to different things than most of my friends and peers. I listen primarily to game soundtracks, and occasionally movie scores, though I also listen to the band Rush, but they're not exactly the kind of band that most of my fellow classmates listen to. I think that my choice of music to listen to is a product of my parents. I say this because my dad has been a Rush fan since before I was born, and also plays a lot of video games, listened to their soundtracks, and my parents have shown me several movies that have excellent soundtracks.

The selection of videos that I watch are fairly representative of what sort of person I am. I'm the sort of person to tear apart the mechanics of a game so that I can fully understand the game, and hopefully be able to use my deeper knowledge of any given game to outplay other people. Hence why I watch videos of other people dissecting game mechanics. I want to see what other people see and find out what sorts of things I overlooked.

As for the vlog that I watch, it's a bunch of people who make their living by making almost professional-grade videos for their main channel. For those of you who might be interested, the channel is called Sam and Niko after the founders of the YouTube studio, and their main channel is Corridor Digital. I've always liked cameras, especially the more professional ones. And these people use cameras all the time. They also have a huge arsenal of nerf and airsoft guns, which they use in making their videos.

All of this boils down to me watching videos of people doing things that I enjoy, and listening to the music that I like.

But as I've glanced at my friends' computer screens, I haven't seen them watching any of the same things that I watch, which is at some level surprising, but also not surprising at all. It surprises that me that all of my friends basically watch the same things, and that despite having shared experiences with them for almost four years now, I haunt a different section of YouTube than they do. Just as I do, they are watching videos pertaining to the activities they enjoy and listen to the music that they like.

I think the best thing about YouTube is the variety of content you can find. Some people use it for their news because that's how they are most receptive to it. Other people may use it to watch other people play the games that they enjoy. Still others just use it to listen to music, as I am as I write this. In fact, most people use YouTube for a combination of these things. There's so much out there that anyone can find channels that they enjoy on YouTube, no matter what background they come from.

2 comments:

  1. It's an accurate observation, I think, that people use YouTube for a variety of purposes, and engage with a wide range of personal interests. I also agree that people's YouTube usage, including mine, is often an extension of their personal curiosities and hobbies. I think if you wanted to include more reflection, you could discuss a time, and how, you found a specific channel or topic on YouTube that is important to you. In terms of narration, I think it would be interesting to read about how you think YouTube, and the way it has allowed you to pursue your curiosities and interests, have shaped and impacted you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool story! I also like to browse youtube, but the things I watch are completely different than what you watch. Youtube is great because you can tailor it to what you're interested in. I think if you wanted to add some more length you could include a story of how youtube influenced something in your life or made you interested in something new (if that's even applicable to you). Or maybe how you first got into youtube and how it has helped you in any way.

    ReplyDelete

The Supernatural in Angry Black White Boy

  As we got to the end of Angry Black White Boy , some weird stuff started happening.  Some highly improbable things occurred, and I'm n...